Birthday fun!

Fun fact...we have a wall that is perfect for shadows.  Hyrum was eating lunch this week and he found that he can create shadows.  Using his sandwich and fingers he made a deer.  We spent the rest of the week making shadows at meals.

We will save the best for last...Hyrum's birthday, which happened at the beginning of the week.  

Tim finished nights Tuesday morning.  He covered for another resident on a couple of days and then was off for the rest of the days of the week.  It was his first week driving to UNC and the he found that the morning commute isn't bad.  

On Saturday we had a family hiking adventure in the Duke forest.  We have never explored and we enjoyed it.  The kids found plenty of things to jump and climb on.  

Liam also enjoyed the outing.  This was his first adventure and he did great!

Lila has entered a harder phase of the terrible twos.  I didn't think it possible, but she has decided that saying no+crying+going dead weight on the floor is the proper way to respond to all interactions.  It's been a challenge to say the least.  We have also discovered that we will have to do some serious teaching at church.  She really struggled to make it through sacrament meeting.  The same things that worked for Hyrum do not work for her.  It's just hard because she really doesn't have any experience with church, because we stopped attending when she was 18 months.  

Liam is moving and grooving on the floor he can rotate and is starting to push himself.  He is also starting to have grunting wars.  It's really funny to watch him grunt to talk.  We have also started working with his to lay on his back in the pack n play.  He is doing better than he did that last time we tried.  It's still a struggle, but he is making progress.  The other big news is that I have started eating dairy, soy, and wheat.  I am slowly introducing things and trying to not eat too much.  Liam still spits up, but it doesn't seem to be as bad.  

I'll start by saying that it's crazy to have a five year old and that his birthday ended up being great.  And here comes the but.  Hyrum requested Pete the Cat cupcakes.  I went to make them, but ended up burning the cupcakes.  The type of burned where they are not edible.  The tears came and Tim saved the day with an ice cream cake.  We had pizza and lots of good food and presents.   

Our gift to Hyrum was a new bike.  He was so excited to go to the store to pick it out.  He has also enjoyed riding it the rest of the week.  

Later in the week I went to a gathering with other women who live at our complex.  I shared what happened and everyone of them shared baking horror stories.  I guess it wasn't me...it was the oven.  I felt much better about myself, because I know how to bake box cupcakes.  I also went on a walk with a friend around the neighborhood.  I have really enjoyed having so many people so close to us.  The kids have loved all the friends they have made and I love all the adults!  

Oh, I also met another resident wife and the kids and I had a playdate with that family.  Hyrum had a blast playing with Joseph and Lila loved the piano.  

Any who...here's to a better baking week!
 

Comments