Third Time is Not the Charm

 Where to even begin!  Monday was not our day, as we ended up in the ER before lunch.  This was our third visit to the hospital this year.  I think I am all ERed out.  

A neighbor wanted to go out riding in the cooler weather and we needed so outside time.  All the kids were out on the sidewalk.  Hyrum was leading the pack and all of a sudden I heard a loud crash.  I thought he hit a car, but it was a sign post.  There was lots of tears and screaming as I went running to get him.  I didn't see him hit the sign, as he was on a curve out of my line of sight.  Judging by the bruising, I think he hit the sign head on and went over the handle bars hitting his chin, chest, and thigh.  The chin is what landed us in the ER.  He cut himself from just above his jaw to under his jaw just over an inch.  He needed two stitches inside and eight on the outside.  Initially, he was sobbing and didn't want to go to the ER, which is expected.  We said a prayer together on the way to the hospital and he calmed down.  By the time we picked up Tim (luckily he was already at the hospital and it was a lunchish time), he was just saying that it hurt.  We were lucky again to get right in and didn't need plastics to come take care of him.  We were still there for several hours, but it wasn't the 8+ hours I always hear about.   


They have this amazing team that are there to support kids through the traumatic time.  They act as the go between between parent and doctor to get a feel for the child and what course might be best.  With it taking three of us to hold Hyrum down for his kinder shots we opted for a lovely medicine through the nose that mellowed him out.  It stung initially, but the liaison was awesome and when the nurse wanted to stop she got right on her and said to keep on going, which was definitely the right call.  She then brought in an Ipad with Paw Patrol and Hyrum was oblivious to the rest.  There was no screaming or fussing for shots or stitching.  I was prepared for the worst, which is why I called Tim because I didn't think I could manhandle Hyrum and hold Liam at the same time.  The doctor walked out and the nurse asked if he wanted ice cream and he chose strawberry.  While we were waiting to be discharged, Hyrum asked when he was getting his stitches.  He was super shocked to be done.  He was pretty groggy on the way to the car and a nurse ended up carrying him because he couldn't walk from the medicine.  

We kept him inside for the first couple of days because we didn't want him to open his stitches again.  He still fell down the stairs twice acting crazy, but by the third day I let him outside on the back porch to "carve."  We also gave him Tylenol faithfully, but I don't think he really needed it.  Tim and I think he has been holding out on us and has a much higher pain tolerance, because of all the wailing that happens for the slightest injury.  


Lila was a champ and went with her favorite person Becky.  She was also pretty sweet with Hyrum and his cut.  She is gearing up for preschool with mom.  Every time we talk about Hyrum going to kinder, she says she gets to do school with me.  It should be interesting, because she is very different from Hyrum.  I think we will still have some fun.  She also went to her first baptism.  There were some children baptized and I went to represent the primary.  She enjoyed it.  Her new favorite thing to do is say that she loves someone and then add that Jesus loves them too.  I think it's pretty cute.

Liam continues to work on the top two teeth. I can feel the sharp end of one and see the other has moved closer to the gum line.  His teething experience was been much different than the other two.  His naps are very short and tends to get cranky and clingy.  He is still a happy kid, so when he does start to get fussy it's just weird for him.  He has started saying tap and then tapping things together.  It's fun to see him do some of the things Hyrum did.  He also got his first full haircut.  We have given him a trim around the ears a couple of times, but it just needed to happen.  It turned out well, but it was hard to cut and squirmy baby

Tim has a weird schedule.  He works basically noon to midnight.  The ER hasn't been too bad, but the hours are hard.  

I'll end with this.  I snapped a photo of the kids being scientists and studying how the ocean was made.  Hyrum is really very independent in his reading and was reading a book about the ocean and the two of them were making notes about what they learned.

Next week's adventure will be a quick trip to Dallas for Brian's wedding.  It will just be Liam and I, so it should be interesting.  I haven't flown in six years and I have never flown with children.  Until then!

Comments