Emotions!

It was a roller coaster week of emotions.  I'm hoping we are officially off the ride, because I am exhausted.  This was our first week back after spring break.  Monday went well, but Tuesday our troubles began.  Hyrum started having huge fits like he did at the beginning of the year.  There was lots of yelling and tears.  He refused to get on the bus on Tuesday, and I ended up taking him to school pretty much the rest of the week pulling him out of the van and leaving him screaming with a teacher.  Good times at the Zimmerman house.

We were all glad for Saturday, especially Hyrum.  He really needed a couple of days to get it together and I needed a chance to talk with his teachers to figure out what in the world is going on.  I still don't know 100%, but on Friday he finally (it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get anything out of him) mentioned struggling to pay attention in his first grade class, which is the first I have heard about it.  I talked to his first grade teacher and come to find out that he has been having trouble since he started going a few months ago.  He has been shutting down in class when he gets a wrong answer.  This is nothing knew with Hyrum, but I just didn't know it was a problem in his class that needed to be addressed.  We had a nice chat about how our brains need exercise and shutting down and ignoring your teachers, is how our brains get exercise.  I am sure this coupled with some tough lessons learned with making good choices recently and summer so close we just had a perfect storm. 

Lila and Liam got to go along for the emotional rollercoaster ride every morning.  After we dropped him off we took the long way home to all calm down.  We had a mix of rain and cooler temps this week.  We all still played as much as we could outside this week.  I continued to do some running and it has worked well with having the kids ride bikes.  Lila is ever my helper.  They had the instruments out and she helped Liam find the joy of the bells.  She put bells around his ankles and he was moving and grooving.  Lila always surprises me.  With the mornings being so chaotic, one morning when I finally made it to the stove to start the oatmeal, I found it already poured.  From what I could tell she put in the correct amount.  Duty called and when I got back the second time she had put in the water.  Poor thing was probably hungry.  Sometimes I forget that she is only three.  In some ways she is way more mature than Hyrum is at almost six.  I have to keep reminding myself that she is only three.  

Liam continues to learn new words every day.  I feel like he is between Hyrum and Lila.  He isn't as articulate as Hyrum, but talks much better than Lila did at that age.  He finally learned how to use a straw sippy cup, which is nice so we can close it up and not have a water mess everywhere.  He is also getting better at feeding himself using a bowl and utensil.  It's kind of nice to be able to sit and eat my food and only occasionally help him.  

Hyrum did much better at church today.  I didn't have to take him to class and I wasn't trying to get him to sit with his class.  He also made some new friends.  They recently moved in and the kids had a blast playing with them and they seem very nice.  Hyrum had a dream come true.  They have a kid car that you can drive.  He is always asking if he can have a kids riding tractor and this was pretty close.  

Tim has a week off before he is on nights.  He is down to two weeks of nights left in residency.  The end is in sight!

Until next week!

Comments