School!

It was a bit of a whirlwind week.  We started school on Monday with two very excited kiddos.  I am pretty sure they were up and ready before 6...let me just repeat that part...BEFORE 6!  The approach I am taking with homeschool is everything that happens in the house is learning from the actual reading and math to learning to cook and clean and gospel learning.  Our target time to start was 8, well we started between 7-7:15 every morning.  We have been finishing earlier than I anticipated, but I guess when you start so early that's kind of just the way it is.  It wasn't a perfect week by any means, but I think overall it went well.  Hyrum only made it four days in kindergarten before he started refusing to go to school and we made it five days with him having meltdowns because he had to wait to finish up school while I helped the younger two.  


Lila still has two more years until she qualifies for kinder, so she is doing very simple literacy and math lessons on alternating days.  I have enjoyed her remembering things we had learned and she really enjoys watching Hyrum do his work.  I am going to experiment with schedules this week and see if we can't do some of Hyrum's work during naps.  Liam gets more tricky the closer we get to lunch.

Oh and lest I forget...we started off our school year sick!  It's only been about two weeks since we were sick last and all of us have been coughing and blowing noses all week.  Tim started getting sick later in the week.  We were hoping to keep him healthy at least through Monday.  He has his boards exam on Monday, which is a 12 hour test.  He isn't too bad yet, so we are just hoping he can hold until after his exam.

Speaking of Tim.  His schedule picked up this week.  He wasn't home for dinner at all this week and Friday night he didn't make it home until 11 from the high school football game.  He is learning a lot and enjoying it, but the long days will be harder the more the weeks go by.  He has yet to start UNC football, which I believe is starting this week.  He is attending a game this afternoon for a couple of hours, which I think brings the game total to three.  So. Much. Sports!

Some other highlights for Hyrum are that he lost another tooth.  The tooth fairy is sorely lacking in quarters, so he got dimes and nickels.  He also built a large pyramid from legos.  In social studies we are doing ancient to modern history starting in ancient Egypt.  He also decided he wanted to build a teepee, so he found sticks and mom found a way to put them together.     

.
It was a two day process.  Starting with a lot of trial and error trying to fit sticks together.  I finally got smart and found a YouTube video showing how Native Americans would raise their teepees.  They know their stuff, so much easier.  The kids decided they liked it better without a blanket on it.  I've been surprised at how much they have used it in their play.  Don't get me wrong, I'm super proud of it, but it's not that awesome.

Probably the highlight of the week was math on Friday.  Hyrum did a graphing review and we ended with M&M graphing.  Lila did some sorting and counting with hers and Liam did some colors with his mim a nims.  The second most exciting thing this week was mini golfing at the library.  The children's section is doing an around the world theme this month and you can golf around the world.  The kids loved it especially Hyrum, who declared very loudly as he was skipping out that, "The library is so awesome!"  It got a few chuckles from the older patrons.  I think some of the librarians even cracked a smile even though he was not walking and most definitely not using a library voice.


Lila has transitioned well to school.  She enjoys her time and is adjusting to the morning routine probably the best.  She is my routine girl that thrives on knowing what is expected.  She has been given a clean bill of health and is now riding her bike and scooter.  She was a little rusty, but it didn't take long for her to be zooming along.  She still takes naps, but I feel like we are getting really close to dropping them.  If she wasn't waking up before the sun with Hyrum I think we would have dropped naps long ago, but alas it's exhausting waking up before six in the morning.

Liam continues to chatter and learn knew words.  Tim saw the older two typically every morning for a few minutes, but Liam was never awake.  On Saturday, he was shocked at how much progress Liam has made and what he can say.  He is learning yes and no and using them to declare when he wants something or more typically when he doesn't want something.  He also seems to be picking up some of Lila's lessons.  He started saying ABCD this week, which was really cute.  I am really happy with the fact that he has learned to blow his nose.  It's weird, but it's so helpful when you know how to blow, so you aren't constantly wiping or dripping everywhere.  The other two are still working on that skill.  It was raining for most of the week.  We broke out the boots and Liam got to wear his for the first time.  He was super cute trying to walk around in clunky boots, but he loves them.


I have discovered that I will most likely be cutting back on my book reading this year.  There isn't a ton of prep work to be done for school, but I do need pull things out and look through curriculum for the week to get organized.  I am sure some weeks will be easier than others but I found that I don't mind, because it takes me back to the good old days in kinder.  

Until next week!

Comments