Flying solo!

We've made it nine days without Tim.  We've done surprisingly well.  In the past when Tim has gone on nights or rotations that require more time away from home, things at home tend to start falling apart for those of us left.  Luckily, baby boy has stayed calm and not decided to make a surprise appearance.  

We stayed busy this week with school and baby prep.  This week's goal was to do some food prep.  I've never really done much in the way of food prep, because I always have to go on a super strict diet.  This time I decided to try just cooking up plain meat.  I figured it would cut down on at least one step and if I need to adjust for dietary needs, it's just plain meat that I can pull some out for me before getting everything ready for the family.  I cooked up a 10 pound roast, a bunch of hamburger and chicken.

Hyrum decided that he wanted to build a temple and then send a picture to the Friend.  He spent time designing and building.  I think it looks great.  Now I just need to figure out how to send it in.  He continues to progress in school.  It's crazy that we only have about three months left until he is done.  He has also had some struggles this week with kindness.  He seems to be going through another cycle of behavioral problems, which is always frustrating.  Nothing is ever simple with him...sigh.  



Liam was darn cute this week.  He is getting into building with legos.  I'm pretty sure he's too young to be playing with them, but whenever the lego bucket is open it's an hour of easy entertainment for him.  I'm not sure if it just him seeing the other build, but the creation he has was done pretty much by him.  Cool man in also into shades.  Hyrum let him borrow them earlier in the week and he has pretty much worn them every day since.  He loves the glasses.  He continues to learn knew words and it is always interesting to have a conversation with him.  He is probably our most cuddly child, who has a quick smile for us in the morning and will come chill with us...but not for too long.  He's is also a goer like the other two and doesn't like to be left behind.

We did some science experiments this week.  Lila has been learning about weather for her preschool and Hyrum happened to have a tornado experiment in his geology kit.  The kids had fun making tornados.  

Lila and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen between making meat and no bake cookies.  I typically try to do something associated with the letter of the week, but have been lax since the holidays.  She loves take on responsibilities in the kitchen and wants to do everything.  Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.  She also helped get some areas ready for baby.  We have been talking more about having a new baby in the family and I mentioned that both Hyrum and Lila will be learning out to change diapers.  She decided that she wanted to start with Liam, so she has been taking on changing his diaper before naps.  She is actually pretty good at it.  And big news for her is that she is finally dropping naps.  We are down to about three a week, which is about right for her.  She tends to start yawning around dinner and falls asleep very fast at night.  We have been working quiet activities during naps.  So far it's going well.  I am hoping that we have some solid routines established before the baby comes, so that it will be easier to get back to them when everything falls apart as we adjust to four kids (just being realistic here).

Humor for the week.  The kids were playing and Hyrum came down super excited saying that he shared his jacket with Liam.  I was surprised, because Hyrum loves his jacket and tends to wear it as some sort of armor not mater how sweaty he gets.  Liam came down and sure enough was wearing the jacket and Hyrum proudly declares that he looks like Yoda.  Lila wanted to be a Jedi as well, so we ended up having a Jedi sort of morning.  

I've stayed very busy this week.  I have appointments every week now, which isn't my favorite.  I'm pretty bad about wanting to go to a five minute appointment for them to weigh me and take my blood pressure.  I have to find sitters for all the kids, which isn't easy during the day.  I get the importance for both, but I'm like, "I have a scale and we didn't spend thousands of dollars and years of our lives for Tim to become a doctor to have him not be able to take two minutes to take my blood pressure."  As previously mentioned I have been working on my baby list.  We have a lot checked off.  Besides meal prep, I've made it through most of the extra laundry, we have the van cleaned and reorganized, and baby areas are ready.  This coming week will be focused on school.  There isn't too much, but I need to go through the calendar and make sure I have books chosen for Hyrum and know what I need to do for Lila to make the weeks easier.  I'm also planning on finishing up all the extra laundry, so that we will be ready to do the deep clean the following week.  The kids don't know it, but they get to help.  I'm banking on the power of Clorox wipes to help motivate the kids.  

Any who...we have one more week until Tim gets home.  He seems to be having a great learning experience.  He enjoys the doctors and is seeing some great patients.  I think the only downside for him is that he doesn't particularly enjoy the roommate style living situation.  It reminds him of college and he has become quite accustomed to his own space.  But, it free, so he can't complain too much!  Until next week.  

Comments