And then we became six!

It's been a whirlwind of a couple of weeks.  My mom came in Monday two weeks ago, because I thought I was starting to have early labor contractions.  It wasn't.  Mom was great to help with the general family things and to help divide the kids, so it wasn't so taxing on me.  Despite my best efforts to move things along I wasn't able to go into labor on my own.  I did basketball with the boys, went on tons of walks, and even digging for dinosaur bones at the kids museum.   


I went in for induction on Saturday evening, which wasn't what I wanted, but it ended up being for the best.  My first induction was a terrible experience, which was the main reason for not wanting an induction this time.  Luckily, it went much better than the first.  It took about seven hours of pitocin to get things far enough for me to feel uncomfortable enough for an epidural.  Once they gave the epidural they broke my water.  They were going to give me a few more hours before they checked me again, but within the hour I progressed from a five to an eight.  I started shaking, which had never happened, but can happen.  The nurse came in and started trying to find a doctor, which they were all busy in the OR or delivering other babies.  They finally found one and she declared that it was time to push.  I should add that all this time Tim was feeling ill.  He had some sort of bug that was making him feel very sick.  As well, they were monitoring the baby because his heart rate kept dropping with every contraction.  

They continued to monitor his heart rate which continued to dip lower as the pushing progressed.  After some discussion they suggested that if I couldn't get him out in the next bit they might try to vacuum or forceps to help him out.  While I continued to push they asked about previous deliveries and I mentioned that this was similar to Lila who was op.  The doctor asked for an ultrasound and sure enough this baby was op as well.  She said that she could try to go in a rotate him, so he was facing the correct direction and I gave the okay.  She was able to get him rotated and within three pushes Owen Griffin finally came with the cord wrapped around his neck, which explains the drop in heart rate.  He was born at 6:28 a.m. on February 26, weighing 8 pounds and 5 ounces.  He was my longest pregnancy coming in at 42 weeks. 

I stayed the rest of Sunday and was discharged Monday afternoon.  Luckily, my recoveries go well and all the kids have been healthy, so I like to leave as soon as possible, so I can sleep in my own bed!

The kids were super excited to meet Owen.  They planned a party for him, which was really cute.  There was lots of baby holding, fun food, and decorations.


After grandma left, we have tried to take it easy.  We canceled school for the week and the kids spent time dressing up, playing with legos, learning to tie, celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday with green eggs and ham, and adjusting to a family of six.  


So far, Owen is a chill baby.  We get at least one four to five hour stretch every night, which I have never had before.  He is still struggling to flip his schedule, so we still have an rough patch from about 10-1 in the morning.  He also eats really well, which is also a first.  It's typically been a struggle to get started nursing.  I am really crossing my fingers that he isn't a spitter.  The last two in particular had a lot of trouble with keeping their food down.  I would love to not go on an oat, banana, egg, potato, and natural peanut butter diet.

I personally think he looks a lot like Lila and it's a little hard to tell from this picture, but I think he has wavy hair like hers.  We'll have to wait until he is a little older, but he definitely has some poof!
Until next week!

Comments